Monday, May 6, 2013

Me and Deliquents

So, I was exposing Matto-Kun to the greatness of Kishidan and it made me think of my days as a Guru to the up and coming delinquents in the south side of Salinas..

Admit it, that is some proper delinquency.

Ya know, there was a time in my life where I saw a group of kids from Salinas High that were dead set on becoming juvenile delinquents, so I felt an odd sense of duty to make sure that they were proper in their delinquency.  In hindsight, that is probably why I loved all 3 seasons of Gokusen.  Yankumi taught those Yankii kids how to be proper delinquents, but I digress.

Sure, Mike Bakeman (may he Rest In Peace) referred to them as my "Fan Club" but that's only because he couldn't see past the ego flex I got from these kids looking up to me and shit, but it was far more than that to me. I was invested in these kids' progress.  Even when they got pinched and did some time...how they took it mattered to me.  When one took it like a champ, I felt pride.  When one rolled like a bitch, or got caught up in the trappings of being inside, I felt a serious sense of disappoint.

Fucking shit, Lil One is probably my best success story out of everyone back then.  She's got a man who everyone says is worthy (even Morganthaler approves, that's saying something) a career slinging ink like a boss, and her shit is fully together.  I think I can claim a bit for credit for how others turned out, but she's the stand out, fer realsies.

There's a bit of regrets with that one, but we'll just let that go.  Past is past.

Anyways, I do attempt a bit when I encounter that brand of kid at work, to help 'em out and try to pass on some wisdom in their general direction, but I highly doubt I'll ever find myself in that situation again.  Closest thing to it is how I am with Matto-Kun.  Then again, last time I was back 'home' more than once I heard the phrase, "He's like a younger you, ain't he?"

And based on what I've heard some out of his mouth, originally sourced and shit, I don't think I can argue it much.

Hopefully, he carries the torch that I once so proudly carried.  

1 comment:

  1. Thank You Brother. I MaY Not Be The prodigy you once were, but it makes me extremely proud to know that if i need anything i can count on you just as many others count on me to be there for them. you have always been a great friend and ill do everything i can to make sure that billgoaddamnit is never forgotten.

    ReplyDelete